Monday, August 6, 2012

Oradea is not cool.


Szia!
First, to get things straight, Oradea is definitely the least cool city I have been in so far on my mission.  I am definitely not impressed with the fact that it's a billion degrees hot outside every day.  Haha but all joking aside it is a pretty legit city.  It's definitely beautiful.  It was built forever ago and there are lots of old buildings that survived all the wars (the first one and the second one and maybe other ones too) that look really cool.  Also there's a nice river that goes right through the middle of the city.  It's super close to Hungary too which I know I already told you all but yeah I feel like I'm a new missionary again.  I just walk around the streets and don't understand what people say.  Only 2 of the members in the branch don't know Hungarian, and one of them is from Bucharest.  Everyone also speaks Romanian, though.  Which is a relief.  There's a member here, though, who's third language is Romanian.  First Hungarian, second English.  So, wisely, I learned how to say basic things in Hungarian already, such as yes (igen), hello (szia or szervusz), and "I don't speak Hungarian" (ném beszélek magyarul).  It's pretty fun. :)
My companion is Elder A....  He's from Idaho, has been in the mission since March, and he's super awesome.  We get along super well.  Also in my district are Elder S... and Elder T....  I sent pictures of them that I took sitting here at internet.  Sorry I don't have other pictures yet.
As for investigators, we have 2 which is great.  We found them yesterday and they're pretty cool.  Their names are I... and A... (maybe spelled differently though because that's Romanian spelling and they're both Hungarian of origin).  They're super nice and they love prayer and stuff and we're looking forward to starting to actually teach them later this week.  Other than that the other elders have 2 investigators, one who should be baptized on the first of September.  Basically this is a pretty awesome city.  We also get to do community service twice a week feeding homeless people at a shelter.  It's super fun.
At transfers this week I had to say goodbye to Elder L... unfortunately because he's done with his mission now (if you remember him I was with him in Craiova) and that made me really sad.  But it's good because now he can go to school again.  But yeah basically I'm loving it here and I hope you're all having a great time in America or wherever vă aflaţi!  I love you all!
Love, Elder Michael Abbott
Nu-ţi face griji.  Statele Unite vor câştiga jocurile olimpice desigur.

 Elder Abbott and Elder L... at transfers
  A cool church in Oradea


 translated: All of the directions....this way!
 a shirtless man fishing in the river


 In the internet cafe with Elder A... and ...
Elder T... and Elder S... (not sure which one is which)

No comments:

Post a Comment