
Gina's baptism

The water filter, which they found out some elders forgot to change.
Hey everyone! This was a good starting transfer week! Elder Veenendaal's awesome, and we're working super well together. We already have 2 "new" investigators, as in investigators who were investigators back with old missionaries but who Elder Kopsa and I never met. Now, though, we're starting to pick up and meet with them again. One lady we're meeting with, Daniela, is super cool. She lived in Boston for 10 or so years while at college and knows English better than we do. She was almost an English teacher but didn't like it so she switched her major. We also met another Daniela that had pretty much lost contact with missionaries, who's also really cool. This last week was Gina's baptism! She was baptized by Elder Gauthier, an elder who taught her while he was in Alexandria a few transfers ago. After he taught her in Alexandria a little he got transferred to a different area and Gina started getting taught in Craiova. She is from Alexandria but is at school in Craiova so she was taught and baptized here. She wanted Elder Gauthier to baptize her because he was the first one to teach her and the first one she could understand the gospel from. The baptism went great and she was super happy about it! It was a great experience for everyone and it was cool that Elder Gauthier got one last baptism in before he left. A little mishap that happened this week was that our phone got lost. Elder Kopsa and I were walking to the Gara (train station) Tuesday afternoon to buy his train tickets for Wednesday morning for him to go to transfers. He called the AP's, and then we don't know what happened to the phone after that. A few hours later when we tried to call someone else we realized our phone was gone. We found out a few days later that a taxi driver had called one of our investigators to tell her he had found a phone in his taxi with her number in it. She said she couldn't meet up with him and that he should call a different number in the phone, but we don't know what happened after that. Our phone wouldn't ring for the rest of the week. So today Elder Veenendaal and I used P-day to go to Bucharest to get our new phone, with our old number (it was a process to get the old number back, which is why we had to wait so long). I don't know how missionaries used to work without phones. It's very hard. We got to take a fun little side trip to Alexandria on the way which was fun, though, so it was a great trip! I got to meet up with Elder Benson, who's currently serving down there, and who I was with in the MTC and served with in Deva for a transfer. His companion, Elder Horgmo, was my naş (Romanian for Godfather I'll explain in a second), so it was good to meet him too. In our mission for fun we have family relationships with all of the other missionaries. So the missionary who takes you out contacting your first night in the country, before you're assigned a companion, is your naş. Your trainer is your Dad or Mom, depending on if you're an Elder or Sister, other people they've trained are your siblings, their trainer is your grandparent, your trainees are their grandchildren, etc. We also have uncles (your trainer's trainer's other trainee), cousins (your trainer's trainer's other trainee's trainee), etc. Also for elders the first time they serve in a city with sisters, the Senior companion in the sister companionship is your mom. I don't have a mom yet. Anyway, that's my short explanation about how my phone got lost and why I met my naş again today. I hope all of you are doing wonderfully! Ar fi tare dacă aş putea zbora şti? Elder Michael Abbott PS we had Thanksgiving too I'll get those pics and send them next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment