Wearing a member's sunglasses and a tie made by high school friend Keri Erdmann on a bus in Deva.
Zone Conference!
Watching General Conference!
Hey everybody!It's been another great week here in Deva! All of the missionaries from the Sibiu and Arad zones met up in Arad on Wednesday for a multi-zone conference. It was super good and spiritual and it was great to see a bunch of the missionaries I knew from the MTC again. I had only seen Elders Benson, McCombs, and Bennett for 10 weeks, but I got to meet up with Elders Friel, Groberg, and Cox as well. We learned from President Hill what the story of Peter walking on water tells us. He told us what the "fourth watch of the night" is, which is the hours between 3 and 6, when winds begin to pick up and become "boisterous" making the water choppy and wavy. He then pointed out that Peter asks Jesus, rather than the other way around, if he can come on the water with him. He (and only he) gets out of the boat, setting foot on the wavy water, and leaving the other apostles behind. He took a step, and seeing the water began to doubt and sank, cried out, and was saved by Jesus. He said that it's like us. We are all out as missionaries (and members) and need to take a step of faith before we receive the helping hand of the Savior. Jesus didn't help Peter out of the boat, or even help him as he first stepped on the water. Only when Peter had done all he could do and began to sink did Jesus reach out and help him. Like Peter, we all (missionaries, members, and nonmembers) need to take our steps of faith. Whether it is reading the Book of Mormon and praying about it, paying tithing, talking to people about the gospel, or even just going to church, we need to get out of the boat and start walking before we should expect miraculous help. I thought it was a great analogy and I loved it.
We also got to watch 2 sessions of General Conference this weekend. We watched Saturday and Sunday morning's sessions, which were from 7 PM to 9 PM here. I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk about our importance and how we need to avoid being discouraged by Satan. He pointed out that the entire universe was created by God for our good, and that from that fact alone we are very important. I liked too how he said that no matter how the world sees us, where we live, or how insignificant we may feel, we are not invisible to God. It's true, and we should always remember that. I also loved Elder Tad R. Callister's talk about the Book of Mormon. He pointed out that there is no middle ground with the Book of Mormon. Either it is of God, or a "Satanic hoax." I know that whenever I have consistently read the Book of Mormon I have been strengthened and have been protected from sin and uplifted in my life. If any of you are in a time of doubt right now, I add my words to Elder Callister's, and encourage you to read the Book of Mormon. You'll know it's true and you'll be strengthened in your everyday life.
I'm so glad I got to watch even that little part of General Conference and that I got to go to Zone Conference this week! They were both awesome! Also, I'm super excited for the new temple which will be built in Provo! I love you all and I hope all of you enjoyed General Conference, and enjoy reading and watching it again and again! Until next week!
Much love from Romania, Elder Michael Abbott

No comments:
Post a Comment