Monday, February 25, 2013

Ma Bucur(esti)

[insert greeting of your preference here]
This was a super good week!  I was sad to leave Alexandria and Elder P... because it was fun but it's super cool already being here in Buc!  We had mission conference (the first one that I've ever heard of) and transfers on Thursday and we had Elder Kent F. Richards of the Europe Area Presidency there to speak to us.  He was cool and knew a lot about the scriptures.  He gave us a lot of good advice.  So that was a super fun day having conference and transfers and then I had zone leader council the next day and he was there for that too so I got double Elder Richards!  That was also a cool experience and afterwards it was fun just chilling with the other zone leaders and President Hill and just talking about stuff in the mission.  And then we went straight to work.  Elder S... and Elder T... have been doing some legit missionary work here for the last few weeks and I came in just in time to see some really cool things start happening.
First of all, we have 2 investigators right now with baptismal dates.  F... is the first one, set to get baptized on March 9th, and he's super legit.  He reads and prays every day and has already read the Book of Mormon and the Teachings of Lorenzo Snow at least.  I'm not sure but I think he might have read more before I got here too that's just what he mentioned to me.  So he is super legit, came to church on Sunday, everything.  Super cool.  Our second one was a miracle that we had Saturday morning.  There's a family here in the branch (I'm in the Panduri București branch by the way) which has a mom and two daughters.  Both of the daughters are independent and older but one of them is a nonmember.  So missionaries started carrying water bottles in big bags to Cișmigiu park and back by bus every weekend so that she could have water in her apartment.  They started doing this sometime last year so it's been at least 9-10 months of doing this, and having a spiritual thought after every time they go.  But she would never really keep commitments, wanted to keep smoking, etc. until Saturday.  When we finished carrying all the water we sat down and she was like "I read like you guys asked me!"  and Elder S... was a little shocked but asked her more and it turns out that she read and prayed every single day this week (an improvement on the hardly ever she was reading before) and she wants to quit smoking finally and get baptized.  So we set a date with her for March 16th.  And I'm super excited for her.
Also we have a few other investigators and one of them, G..., showed up with a friend on Friday to his lesson so we're teaching both of them now.  And M... came to church on his own and is progressing really well.  He has really good questions and really wants to learn about the truth.  So basically this city is already legit.  I'm super excited to work here and I think I might be here until I finish in May.
Buc by the way is huge compared to everywhere else I've been too.  Not just the city is bigger the branch is bigger and everything.  It was really different going from a branch with an average attendance of 7-9 to a branch with kids running around and 33 people at Elders' quorum.  It blew me away.  Elder S... and I set up the chairs in there after the mission conference had required us to move all of them to a different room and I thought 30 chairs would be more than enough to fit everyone and we ended up needing to bring in more.  We also had a guy come back to church who's been away for a while but just showed up while we were teaching F... and wants us to come over sometime and is going to work on getting his sister to come too.
So yeah that's pretty much everything that I can fit right now.  It's crazy here right now and I'm excited to be here.
Încântat?...Enchanted?  -Elder S...
With Love, Elder Michael Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment